Area of West Istra
Shallow sea with many bays is suitable for seabirds that feed on fish. The parts of the coast with precipitous cliffs and islets, as in National Park Brijuni, are the breeding area of Shags. This is the only part of Croatian littoral, where Kingfishers breed on eroded earthen steeps above the sea.
Types of habitats
- 99% sea, 1% land of which:
- 68% holm oak macchia and forest
- 5% sub Mediterranean thermophilic forests and pubescent oakshrub
- 15% Mediterranean dry grasslands
- 12% other, mostly mosaic arable fields
Shag, Sandwich Tern, Black-throated Diver, Red-throated Diver, Common Tern, Kingfisher.